Saturday, July 25, 2009

Grubby: Russ and Daughters


Bagels. They scream NY but where are the ruling bagel spots? I'm certain allegiances to bakeries are dictated by where one lives or works. So I'm just taking shots in the dark. Russ and Daughters is loved by many and from what I gather, it is all about the lox. "The Heebster" (Whitefish & Baked Salmon Salad and Horseradish Cream Cheese on a Bagel) is often cited as a favorite. I have yet to venture into the fish zone, which is likely abhorrent to regulars. When I've gone to R&D my weakened weekend morning stomach has not been strong enough for an injection of fish. But I need to, cuz it looks fantastic.

The entire operation is a throwback - from the design and color schemes to the numbered ticket counter service, high quality printed butcher paper and bulk appetizers and food stuffs. The bagels - chewy and fresh but lacking an exterior crispness I prefer. The everything bagel is not tainted by the overpowering onion that most are. Only covered with sesame and poppy seeds, they are wholesome. The salty exterior is fantastic. I've tried both the horseradish and scallion cream cheese schmears - and as a lover of all things horseradish, I'm surprised to say that the scallion killed it for me. Large dices of really fresh green scallion mesh with the salty bread perfectly.

So, where do you go for your bagel fix? Highlights I need to visit? Comment, y'all.


Info: 179 East Houston St

No comments:

Post a Comment